UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:05 am 
New UberStudent User

Hi there,

I live on the southern edge of Appalachia, just north of Atlanta. I really enjoy the motivation behind UberStudent, and am looking forward to trying it out!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:58 am 
New UberStudent User

Well, I first stumbled across linux a little over 10 years ago at the library when I paged through a book on redhat. This led to testing out slackware and a couple other distros, but the linux fun was put on the backburner when I started college shortly after. A few years went by and in 2009 I started checking out other distros and settled on ubuntu for a while. However, I never could resist the urge to try out a new distro until I found uberstudent about 1.5 years ago. I used uberstudent for months, which is the longest I have stayed with a distro. During this process I have been seeking to learn more about linux and building it from the ground up. I left uberstudent for a while to test out some some arch based distros, gentoo, and LFS in an effort to understand. While I enjoy everything I have learned, there are a few reasons why I keep coming back to uberstudent.

First, I am the helpdesk manager at a higher ed institution.
Second, I am a graduate student.
Third, the distro had to be ubuntu based (work policy for linux machines)

So, here I am.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:28 am 
New UberStudent User

Hi friends,
I am new to this forum, happy to join here.
I am here to learn and share my knowledge :)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:26 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello, I'm Greg, a student almost graduated from high school, but have been using UberStudent for a few months now. I've been acquainted with a few flavors of Ubuntu over the past couple of years, and so UberStudent has been feeling quite good for me to use. However, there does seem to be one issue that I'm not yet sure how to fix, in that I can't seem to use the default efi-secured kernel version, but have to use the simple generic version or else my Sony Vaio locks up, black screens, and endlessly flashes it's Cap Lock, Num Lock, and Page Lock lights.

Everything else though has been working beautifully, and everything I've needed for my programming and school work has been already provided for, or only mere steps away from being provided.

I've been using UberStudent for a good bit now, but it has only occurred to me recently to try to check out the community.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:02 pm 
New UberStudent User

Also, I usually don't double post, but I don't see an edit button. Is there a way to control what programs are started upon login? Sometimes several programs launch on their own, while I'm unable to find them anywhere in the list of automatically starting programs. Also, is there a way to control the volume at which the introductory music is played? On my laptop, it always plays at maximum volume, which can understandably annoy anyone whose asleep in the next room over.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:48 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

To reach startup programs go to Settings menu > Session and Startup > Application Autostart.

The boot-up sound will play at whatever level your system sound is set at.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:58 am 
New UberStudent User

Hi, I'm new to UberStudent. I've been using Linux for quite a while now (started with one of the early brown Ubuntus, then switched to Xubuntu after hearing all the hubbub about Unity) but I'm more of an end-user veteran haha. ;) I decided to install UberStudent because it's my first year in university and the applications look very useful for when school starts up again! :D (I really like using Geany, hoping it will be sufficient for programming classes)

I installed from the LiveCD over my previous Xubuntu and was a bit surprised to see my old panel/desktop configuration remain intact (save for the UberStudent logo in the middle). Fortunately the Whisker menu found the new UberStudent programs and I am in the process of exploring most of them. :) The inclusion of GNOME-specific programs that Xubuntu didn't have is great, makes checking hard drives a lot easier! Installing other programs went well too (namely Skype, Wine, and Google Chrome).

So far there is one hassle I'm experiencing - the computer seems to shutdown slower than before. :| With regular Xubuntu, in the Whisker menu I'd click Logout and it would prompt me to log out/restart/shutdown etc. After clicking shutdown, the Xubuntu splash circle spun around a few times, the computer shutdown normally after 5-10 seconds, and I'm out the door. Under UberStudent, the Logout button only logs me out to the login screen. When I click shutdown on the login screen, the screen turns black with just the movable cursor present and it sits there for some time. So I don't know if the computer is shutting down or not. I really hate to do this but I usually need to leave quickly, and the computer seeming to hang like this results in me forcing a hard shutdown which is probably harming the system. :? Perhaps I'm just too impatient and in a hurry. :oops:

In summary I'd like to know
[*]Is there a way to keep the UberStudent look in one session and the previous look in another session? (Both Xfce session and UberStudent session have the previous look)[/*]
[*]How to get the status of the computer during shutdown? (splash screen?)[/*]

If this is in the wrong topic please move it to another topic as I don't want to clutter up the introductions :lol: but other people may have the same minor problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:44 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Log out is configured by default to log you out of your session and place you back at the log in prompt. To get the behavior you described go to Applications menu > System > Administration > Session and Startup > General and tick the box for "Prompt on logout" and then click Close.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Post subject: Re: Geany IDE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:16 am 
UberStudent Staff

Lola_H wrote:
I really like using Geany, hoping it will be sufficient for programming classes

I have used Geany successfully in programming classes, even ones which stated that they "required" Microsoft Visual Studio. The caveats are that if the class does use Visual Studio you may have to discover and explicitly include certain libraries that Microsoft crammed into their versions of certain other libraries, and your professor will most likely not know how to assist you with Geany's debugger.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:10 pm 
New UberStudent User

@Stephen - Great, thanks! :)

@Damion - Glad to know you've successfully used it in college :) Are these Microsoft libraries obtainable using Linux and can Linux understand them to compile/execute code correctly? By "include" do you mean they can be included in Geany or Visual Studio? (a bit confused here)

My first two classes used pure C++ for simple homework (with arrays and OOP) that doesn't require libraries or a debug, only that it produce the correct output, for a grade - probably future classes will not be so easy in grading as this approach.

I have a Vista laptop handed down that I've been saving for an install of Visual Studio if the need arises... it's currently stored away because a few Linux-using friends would like to convert it ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!