UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 am 
New UberStudent User

Hello, Everyone,

My name is Jim Simpson. I live in San Antonio, TX. I began using Linux during an international internship in Bukoba, Tanzania, in 2011. I have not looked back since. I have recently left my teaching post of 15 years -- I was an ESL teacher and love cultures. I am a doctoral candidate at the University of the Incarnate Word and will graduate in 2014. My dissertation topic is understanding how FLOSS expands human capabilities by providing access to the world's knowledge and information. I am using Amartya Sen's work as my theoretical framework.

I am now a Linux SysAd at a local hosting company. Even so, my interest in Linux is for the social power that FLOSS gives to people by freeing them from the ills of proprietary software and its practices.

I currently use UberStudent lightweight on my netbook, US Xfce on my production laptop, and US MATE on my work desktop. While I work in the RHEL world at work, UberStudent came to be by accident. I am now fully vested in introducing people to UberStudent -- have have sent intall DVDs to Nigeria as well as sent pre-loaded laptops.

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Greetings, Damodaran and Jim.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 am 
Greetings all : I am Lou Jones. I'm a carpenter by trade. Learning about computers & software is a hobby for me. Teaching my young'uns the things I learn gives me much satisfaction. I see a lot of potential with this O.S. & the F.O.S.S movement.I hope I can help make a difference by being involved.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Welcome, Lou! :D

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello folks

I'm Robin Collins, I live in the middle of Wiltshire in the UK, half way between Avebury and Stonehenge. Although my work is all IT support based my interests are archaeology and history, so whilst not an academic I have already had lots of fun with this distro. I've been into Linux since the days of Redhat 4 and I am a self confessed inveterate distro hopper. However, with retirement in August I hope to be settling down to my main interests in Arthurian Legend, Celtic Mythology and yes, even Grail Lore!! I reckon Stephen's creation will be a real boon to keeping me organised if nothing else.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

If anyone else besides me had to question their spine by looking up the word "inveterate," :mrgreen: Robin's introduction seems like the perfect place to remind that:

- In UberStudent < 2.10, you can look up any word by simply highlighting it (double-clicking on it in UberStudent) and hitting the Special Key (located between Ctrl and Alt on most keyboards).

- In > or = 2.10, you highlight the word and hit Ctrl + Alt + W.

:geek:

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 pm 

Welcome Lou! Welcome Robin!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello everyone, my name is Crystal Knight. I am a Freshman in college at Ivy Bridge, and my major is Law Enforcement. I also work full time at a local convenience store, and volunteer as a Court Appointed Special Advocate for children involved in abuse/neglect cases. My success coach knew that I was familiar with Linux (I had played with it on and off since I was a child because my dad usually had one distro or another) so my success couch suggested that I try out UberStudent. I am looking forward to learning more about the UberStudent distro, and working with each of you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:17 pm 

Welcome, Crystal. With your background and interests you seem a fit for future cybercrime investigation...and with your location as well. ;-) At least, I am assuming you are not referring to the Ivybridge College in Devon, UK, since you spelled it as two distinct words.
In any event, thank you for joining our community.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:44 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi Tom Hauptman here been using linix for quite a few years now and have setteled on uberstudent light edition. Now I am just retired and play with the pc for a hobby. I used to do tech support for a phone company but no more and would not do that again. lol everyone have a great day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!