UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 am 
Hi Stephen, nice distro!!

Non technical remark: I am just not sure about its name.

In American English the words "uber" became known because of Nietzsche and mainly because of its use by the nazis before and during World War II. In America, the words "uber" or "nazi" are used in a sarcastic way or just a funny way of describing something overly great or fanatic.

However, there are still folks in Europe who see very little funny in the word "uber" because the "uber-people" tortured and killed millions of innocent men, women and children. I don't think the name UberStudent will fly in, say, France or Poland.

I may be wrong and I definitely don't mean to preach or be negative. Just a thought. Again, the distro itself is a really nice piece of work, simple, quick and functional - just what I need.

Thanks.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 am 
New UberStudent User

Hello, My name is Angga Andriyadi. I'm from Jakarta Indonesia. I'm a teacher. Nice to see you guys

Post subject: GDAY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 am 
New UberStudent User

Hi there, my name is Darren. I live in the Snowy Mountains, NSW, Australia I am a single dad, raising a little girl with Autism, by myself. I have been using linux since Ubuntu 8.04 and i am a Linux user thru and thru. I first discovered UberStudent 2 or 3 yrs ago, liked it alot, but i am a distro hopper, always on the look out for something new. Because of my daughters special needs, i spend hours each day looking for and trying out new Android and Apple apps.
Now i am looking at how to intergrate linux+ android into the local school :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi, I'm Aldrich Chandra from Jakarta, Capital of Indonesia
It's really great to have such a solid community :)

Glad to know all of you :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 pm 
Established UberStudent User

All right, after having made several forum posts already I guess it's time for me to introduce myself and let you know what I'm up to. ;-)

I mentioned this in another post, but it's worth repeating here. My handle (uberotter) has zero to do with the distro UberStudent. It's a handle I've been using for a while and I'd like to keep it. I actually do have some reason to keep my real name private (though nothing major, really). I live in Lancaster PA (yes, the home of the Amish) and am working on my Bachelor's Degree at the tender age of just 45 years old in IT after having completed 2 years at a community college. I also work in the IT department at the school I previously attended, so that worked out pretty well. ;)

My interest in UberStudent stems from a personal project of mine that's been brewing for a little while but has had less action than I would have preferred. I would like to "recycle" some old Dell Optiplex 760s we have collecting dust here and put them to use as Linux PCs in the library and/or other locations accessible to the students. Last week I had built a very basic system of Debian and XFCE and showed it to some of the head honchos who were visiting from the main campus (I work at a satellite campus). It was a very, very (too) quick presentation - they were very much pressed for time - but I got tentative approval to build and present a working evaluation system. I've been in sporadic contact with the decision makers, and it looks like it's a "go" assuming I can put a system together that meets their requirements. And I'm pretty confident I can.

Then, over the weekend, completely by chance I ran across UberStudent. Looks like the ticket! After some initial trouble just getting the iso I now have it installed on one of the aforementioned 760s and have begun tweaking it. No doubt you'll be seeing plenty of other posts from asking questions / seeking advice in the near future.

Until then ...

cheers
mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hello and welcome to everyone,

Your introductions were really interesting to read.

I am David Marcel Baum. I'm from Berlin, Germany and I am currently living in France near Paris for studying Biochemics and Cellular Biology. Natural science has always fascinated me so my goal is to become a researcher. Thre are a couple of pathological aspects I would like to work on.

I came to Linux by accident two years ago while looking for alternatives to Windows: I played with gParted on a live CD and I accidently erased my whole hard drive ( :oops: :twisted: ). Not having any recovery CD for Windows I was forced to use free alternatives since then. Now, I think that Ubuntu based Linux distributions are easier to use than every other operating system I've ever used ( = Windows 98, xp, Vista, 7, a LOT of binary and source code-based Linux distributions and BSD).
I like the idea of UberStudent and the fact it is well configured. You can feel that a lot of work has been done.

See you all :-)
David

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:47 am 
New UberStudent User

Hi My name is Andrew Gomez
I am a Sophomore at AMES(Academy for Math, Engineering, and Science). I am a enthusiastic Linux lover, even though I only discover Linux 2 years ago. I tried out Ubuntu(Normal, light, Studio), Linux Mint, Zorin, and PCLinux OS. This distro i found over a year ago but didn't start using it till last summer in a Oracle Virtual Box.
Quote:
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke, Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry Into the Limits of the Possible

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Hello everyone,
I am Hridbijoy. I am still in my teenage , i was using windows from the time i started using computers. A few days back only i realised that that i was only opening , closing ,copying and pasting things with the OS for which i paid quite a good amount of money.
I started with Zorin OS and came to know about Uber after some days , I booted it from USB drive and i am happy with Uber.
I am a university student here in Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. My major is Chinese(language). I also play keyboard and interested in photography also. I will make use of Uber for these also. I am using Uber to help me in time management as my earlier OS was a time killer one. I have not yet discovered everything on Uber

Thanks Stephen for developing Uber for students like me. I will try to pursue my friends also to leave the 'Time Killer (TS not MS) OS'

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hridbijoy wrote:
Hello everyone

Hi there :) Glad to see some students finding to this distro.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:39 pm 
New UberStudent User

jerryking wrote:
Hi Stephen, nice distro!!

Non technical remark: I am just not sure about its name.

In American English the words "uber" became known because of Nietzsche and mainly because of its use by the nazis before and during World War II. In America, the words "uber" or "nazi" are used in a sarcastic way or just a funny way of describing something overly great or fanatic.

However, there are still folks in Europe who see very little funny in the word "uber" because the "uber-people" tortured and killed millions of innocent men, women and children. I don't think the name UberStudent will fly in, say, France or Poland.

I may be wrong and I definitely don't mean to preach or be negative. Just a thought. Again, the distro itself is a really nice piece of work, simple, quick and functional - just what I need.

Thanks.

I think Mr Ewen, was aiming for the Latin word for productive, namely: Uber. This fits with the naming scheme of antiquity thinkers: Cicero, Aristotles and Plato. Being Dutch myself, living in Europe and all there is no such mindset here. People even use Uber as a positive prefix i.e. UBERcool.
I think the name UberStudent, productivestudent is a good name for a distro the is tailor made for people who want to become productive students.

Source: http://www.latinwordtranslation.com/p/productive

Cheers Adriaan van Elk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!