UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:26 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi, I'm Albert G Kasenter a retired Medical Physicist
I got a B/A. in Physics from Thiel College in Pennsylvania
and an M.S. in Radiological Physics from the University of Miami.

I spent 40 years working in Radiology and Radiation Oncology,
The last 6 years at Trinity College Dublin Ireland.
I have worked with computers since the 1970's
But been with Linux only the last 2 years.
I changed from Linux Mint 17.3 to UberStudent and I like it.

Albert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:38 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Hi and welcome, Albert!

I'm very happy you are finding UberStudent useful. :D

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:38 am 
New UberStudent User

Apparently I have already introduced myself once, but I can't find it - and, in any case, have changed posts since!
I'm Emma, now working in Scotland (was on England's South Coast), and am a Learning technologist (was a Computing lecturer, with interest in IT for learning).
I'm re-investigating UberStudent for 2 reasons - I have a spare laptop, (I don't really need 2 * Windows 10 laptops!) & also I want to see the educational potential for students; and just to see how Uberstudent has changed since the last time I investigated (quite a few years ago, when I was revitalising a Linux Netbook ... think Uberstudent was on about 0. something, or perhaps 1. something.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:07 pm 
New UberStudent User

I'm Gale Webster, a 63 yr. old retireree from the USPS. Grew up learning about electronics, computers. 1979 was a member of a MidMichigan Microcomputing Club? Early, in the 80's I fixed computers for relatives and churches. Put on seminars on repairing and upgrading computers at several churches in late 90's. 2005, I started a relationship with a non-profit called "Closing the Digital Gap". I helped fix and ship 50 computers for New Orelean after Hurricane Katrina. As time past, I developed my own program (ministry) which I call "OnToHim Computer Recycling". Have upgraded numerous church computer labs. My association with the non-profit had good and bad points. On the plus side they "dumped" on me many computers and parts. All missing licences, memory, display cards, power supplied, etc. So, in the last 10 years, I recycled the metals and plastics of 700 computers, refurbished and gave away over 350 computer systens, (i.e.: keyboard, mouse, power cords, computer and monitor). Another 50 systems, I received a $50 - $100 "donation", used to buy the missing or defective parts. 2009. started using LinuxMint 7 (9.04). Later, found Oz Unity (10.04LTS) (Pent III and better), and Tutik Remix (for Pentium II compurers). Have downloaded, 100's of distros. Installed, evaluated and discarded. Tried to introduce "Aristotle" to CTDG.org. No joy. Tried RoboLinux with multiboot XP; for use in Dell GX270 No joy. I want a current distro. I had "Aristotle" installed some years ago, and I liked it. Plan on using your 4.3 on future computers. Thank you, for your excellent work! Two minor questions Any "virtual box" recommendations? Is there any relations with a program called "UberMix"? I consider myself a "grass-roots" philantropist. I can give away my time, have no money. Thanks again. Gale Webster BTW: a new browser I like is SlimJet FrashPeak. Try it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:38 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon I am from Lummi Nation. I am a current graduate student at Evergreen State University working towards an MPA. I am also a full-time Native Studies instructor at a tribal community college. Uberstudent is my first Linux experience, and I am enjoying it thoroughly thus far.

I just figured I would drop in and introduce myself, you never know the connections you'll make. It very interesting to read over everyone's introduction, it is great to share this space with so many wonderful people and fellow educators.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:14 am 

Welcome, Brandon!

I worked for a while at College of Menominee Nation, in remedial reading and writing. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:23 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello,

I'm from Mexico and I'm just landing into the Uberstudent world, I use Ubuntu in my personal laptop and I would like to bring Linux to the elementary school where I'm teaching in. Currently, the computer lab is a mix of CPU's all of them running windows, however some are quite old to keep up with the never-ending updates from MS.

I'm also a language translator Eng-Sp-Eng and wanderlust, an A-I-O guy.
Highly allergic to Penicillium and Acetylsalicylic Acid (a.k.a. Aspirin).
Italian, Asian and Mexican food lover.
Soccer fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:47 am 
UberStudent Staff

Jose N Cardenas wrote:
I would like to bring Linux to the elementary school where I'm teaching in. Currently, the computer lab is a mix of CPU's all of them running windows, however some are quite old to keep up with the never-ending updates from MS.

Though UberStudent targets an age-range higher than elementary school, it is still general enough that it does not inherently exclude elementary school children. For my children I installed Sugar Linux from the One Laptop per Child project. I plan that once they reach high school age I will have already transitioned them to UberStudent.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 am 

Jose, please feel free contact me directly. I'd be pleased to advise you and your school pro bono on how to best meet your needs. ewens@uberstudent.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!