UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: C++ Libraries
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:14 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Lola_H wrote:
Are these Microsoft libraries obtainable using Linux and can Linux understand them to compile/execute code correctly? By "include" do you mean they can be included in Geany or Visual Studio?

Those additional libraries to which I was referring are not Microsoft libraries; they are common C and C++ libraries that are already installed in your UberStudent Linux.

A standard C++ implementation such as the g++ compiler in Linux already has many common C and C++ libraries available to it, including the often used iostream library. Microsoft however decided to cram some of those other common libraries into their version of the iostream library such that other students using Visual Studio could sometimes get away with just a single #include statement...
Code:
#include <iostream>

...whereas using g++ via Geany I would have to explicitly include those other libraries...
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <somecommonlibrary>

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:42 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi,

my name is Sebastian Pütz (which the forum won't accept because of the 'ü'), and I study to become a Special Educations Teacher. I'm from Germany, currently 28 years old and just started sniffing into UberStudent after tampering with Debian for a while now, but setting everything up sometimes is a hassle. And as it seems, UberStudent has a really great choice of programs I might actually need for my work. I do have everything I need on Windows, too, but the idea of Open Source appealed to me a big deal for a long time now. I hope UberStudent will make it possible for me, to finally make a complete transition in the semi-near future ;-).
I also do like the idea of making an OS that can be used freely by schools, because I already witnessed the awful condition of the PCs in schools here in Germany - they are actually quite good for the students at grammar schools, but the special ed schools usually can't afford to use their funds for technical equipment. That is sad however, because especially children with learning disabilities can greatly profit from computer tutoring and spelling correction the computer can offer. I hope to maybe be able to become a multiplier to bring schools free software; although maybe another distribution like edubuntu might be more suitable for the use in schools.

However, I'm gonna keep a dual boot system until I feel confident enough, that I can actually manage my programs and OS under Linux. If necessary, I am gonna keep a dual boot system forever because I also am a passionate gamer (although the development of SteamOS makes me hope, that this is going to change).
As a juvenile I learned to program websites and small applications in PHP, also VB and some smaller experiments with other programming languages, but that knowledge is sadly long forgotten. That's why I sometimes feel like what is referred to as "DAU" in German nowadays (Dümmster Anzunehmender User ~ dumbest imaginable user). I am confident that the community here is gonna be supportive, and I'm looking forward to the exchange about all the stuff here :-).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:44 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi,

My name is John Hunter. I am now retired after 30 odd years of teaching Computing Science to undergraduate and postgraduate students. I started playing with Unix in the early 80's with System-7 and SunOS and have been hooked ever since. I am now looking for a suitable computer setup for my granddaughter to play/learn with. UberStudent could be a contender. However, with my software QA hat on, I have a number issues with the installation process. Apart from that it would appear to be much better, from the educational viewpoint, than some costly systems I can think of. I will list the sillies that I have encountered so far in a more appropriate forum (the `Installation & Boot' forum).

I can possibly help others with some technical issues.

After retiring I (and my wife) have moved to a cottage in Gloucestershire and have now much more time to play with
computers. (I have about 6 of them with varying powers).

jmdh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:04 am 
New UberStudent User

Oh Dear, I tried to donate some money (Sterling) and your web site baulked :( !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:23 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Hi John, and welcome!

Like I said in the other thread, you need to get UberStudent 4.1. You've downloaded a very old and no longer supported version.

Sorry that the website hiccuped. Here's a direct link.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:46 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi guys,

I'm a Linux noob who'd like to begin her UberStudent adventure soon. I'm in the process of picking a laptop (small, light, cheap) to use with UberStudent.

I hope I don't have to post on this forum too often because everything runs smoothly and I don't neef too much help. ;)

Bye for now,
Lottie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:49 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello,

I'm Keith Akkerman. I continually try to learn new things and programming has been my latest endeavor. My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I put together a computer with a 42" TV for a monitor. It really works great but for the frame that hides a portion of the total opening screen and icons. I'm guessing its about 16 pixels all around. I just discovered this distro and thought I'd try it. The previous distro I used was Salentos, though nice, wasn't as user friendly in the arrangement. This installation actually went much smoother and I like what I found with it. My full time job is programming lasers in an industrial environment. I've struggled with learning to program since 1979 and only just started to put it together with a course through Coursera. I think that I will keep this distro though because it came with everything I want to pursue and I like the layout and usablility of it. Since I strive to continue to learn, I know this will be a good place for me to be and look forward to this forum. I know from experience, learning to program the lasers, I garnered much information and a great many ideas from those forums.

Post subject: Re: Programming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 am 
UberStudent Staff

Keith Akkerman wrote:
I've struggled with learning to program since 1979 and only just started to put it together with a course through Coursera.

What programming language are you trying to learn?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:16 pm 
New UberStudent User

Several years ago, I started with Pascal but none of the Schools in the US are teaching it anymore as far as I know. I've made attempts at C ++ and C# but the language isn't the problem, more of concepts like Arrays, sets, procedures and functions. The Coursera course in Python has helped me wrap my head around those and I've started trying to wrap my head around regular expressions. Recently, a few European authors have written books on Lazarus and Free Pascal that have helped considerably. Being self taught takes time and attention to detail. I'll admit, I'm weak in attention but have grown to develop allot of patience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:52 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Best advise I ever heard on learning to code, and I live by it:
Attachment:
739723_1046648148691523_8824152690878524432_o.jpg
739723_1046648148691523_8824152690878524432_o.jpg [ 73.56 KiB | Viewed 15372 times ]

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!