Sorry you're having problems with that netbook. It's a known bugger with Linux.
Let's try this:
1. Hit Alt+F2 on your keyboard and run:
gksu geany /etc/default/grub
2. On line 11 make it read exactly as shown
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noapic irqpoll"
To be clear, you will be replacing
the existing line 11 with the above line.
3. Hit Ctrl+S to save the file and then exit geany.
4. Hit F12 on your keyboard to call guake terminal and run:
5. Close all programs, unplug your netbook, and then remove the battery for 30 seconds. Then replace the battery and plug in the machine again.
6. Boot up again and then try to shutdown.
Does your machine shutdown normally now?