Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:52 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi!

I have just installed UberStudent 4.1-xfce-64bit onto an Acer Aspire 9420 laptop. The initial installation appeared to be quite snappy, then I ran the update manager which has now upgraded to UberStudent 4.3 and the applications are slow, sometimes becoming non-responsive. Opening a new tab in firefox can take up to 40 seconds at times. If I shut the lid of the laptop, it can take 2-3 minutes for the screen to re-appear.

The problem may be around two things.
1) Chrome no longer works - I did a Chromium profile wipe after an upgrade (as it suggested) and since then I have been unable to open it

2) There is the DBUS message at start-up which I have found a solution to in the forums.

I have been using CrunchBang on this laptop for a couple of years now succesfully without really understanding what I was doing (added a lot of PPA's blindly following guides to get software working), but am about to embark on a PhD I need a reliable computer so thought I should wipe it, at which point I came across this distro and thought it would be helpful for me to get organised.

I could just download the latest version and wipe the hard drive and start again if that is what people suggest, but would rather learn more about the system and how to fix it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:43 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

If I'm not mistaken, your Acer Aspire 9420 is around 8 years old, came with Windows Vista pre-installed, and has 1GB of memory or maybe 2GBs (spec sheet here).

Frankly, at this point in its life, it's doubtful that it will run anything terribly well, although it is possible you can squeeze some last bits of life out of it with an ultra-light Linux distro, such as CrunchBang. Suggestion: if you're about to do a Ph.D., its time for a new laptop. ;) You can try taking the steps below to reduce UberStudent's footprint and see how that works.

As you found, to fix the Dbus error, go to Settings menu > Administration > Session and Startup > Application Autostart and untick Menu Pre-Start. Done.

Chromium: try propagating the profile again. Hit F12 on your keyboard to open Guake terminal and run:
Code:
rm -r $HOME/.config/chromium
Or take that step manually: open your home directory in the file manager, hit Ctr+H on your keyboard to show hidden files, enter the .config folder, manually delete the chromium folder, and then try running Chromium again.

You can lighten the load on your Acer with UberStudent by again going to Settings menu > Administration > Session and Startup > Application Autostart and unticking the following, if they are ticked:

- Allows Ctrl+Alt+Backspace....
- Backup Monitor
- Desktop Compositing
- Startup Sound
- UberStudent Logo
- uberstudentWelcome
- Upgrade Notifier
- Upload Tool
- Xfdashboard Daemon
- X-tile
- Zeitgeist Datahub

Also, if you don't use Bluetooth, untick Indicator Bluetooth.

You can lighten the load further by unticking:

- Artha
- Guake Terminal

That should help considerably without sacrificing too much functionality.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:59 pm 
New UberStudent User

Thanks for the quick response!

Wow the laptop is really that old eh? I bought it second hand a couple of years back as I had to use ProEngineer and believe it or not this laptop can run it!

As soon as I can secure any funding I will be buying myself a new laptop...but for now it is all I have.

Deleting the Chromium Profile has worked, and that browser appears to be much quicker than firefox, so this is probably the perceived change in performance of the laptop.

Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:08 pm 

Also, take the steps I outlined above to reduce UberStudent's footprint. I probably added them in an edit them after you replied.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:09 pm 
New UberStudent User

Thanks very much!

So, just to share what is happening:

Is this a correct description of what each one is doing:

- Allows Ctrl+Alt+Backspace - something which is constantly running to allow the keystrokes Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to exit out of the gui so stopping it frees resources

- Backup Monitor...this is the process which reminds the user to back up at regular intervals and is a program which is constantly running so again disabling it frees resources

- Desktop Compositing .... makes the desktop look better, but is constantly running so disabling it frees resources

- Startup Sound ... plays the sound at startup and disabling improves the boot time

- UberStudent Logo .... Uses a program called conky, it is laid over every background which is constantly running and therefore diabling it frees resources

- uberstudentWelcome..... dialogue box which appears at startup so improves boot time

- Upgrade Notifier..... notifier constantly running checking for updates so disabling frees resources

- Upload Tool.... not sure what this is

- Xfdashboard Daemon...as explained in the description, the deamon runs in memory allowing for super+d short cut keys to open the program,so disabling frees resources

- X-tile ... a which allows for the open applications to be arranged on desktop (tile them) and disabling stops the program so frees resources

- Zeitgeist Datahub... it keeps a database of which files you open and which applications you run to show your most used apps and files first, so disabling it frees resources

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm 

Spot on, except for two things:
Quote:
Upgrade Notifier..... notifier constantly running checking for updates so disabling frees resources
Your description describes the Update Manager. The Upgrade Notifier is a small script that runs at startup that does two things once. If after 1 Feb 2016 a 4.0 or 4.1 user has not upgraded to 4.3, it reminds them once to do so, after which point it does nothing. Also, it asks once if they'd like to reinstall the package uberstudent-desktop-xfce to get certain new features that are part of 4.3. If the user chooses not to, the script then does nothing ever again on the matter. You can view the script by hitting Alt+F2 on your keyboard and running:
Code:
geany /usr/bin/upgradenotifier-4.3
Disabling it very barely frees resources. In most conditions it checks for a file and if it exist, does nothing, which is what the character : means in bash
Quote:
Desktop Compositing .... makes the desktop look better, but is constantly running so disabling it frees resources
Actually, compositing is required to run some programs. An example is at Applications menu > Education > Presentations > Utilities > Ardesia Desktop Sketchpad. In that case, you can enable compositing manually by running Settings menu > Look and Feel > Desktop Effects.

The Upload Tool let's the user configure an external server where they can upload files to the server via FTP, SFTP, or SCP. Configure it, and then just right-click over the file(s) you want to upload and choose Upload File(s), and they will upload. If the Upload Tool is unticked in startup programs, the ability is unavailable. If you are sure you never want to use the Upload Tool, you can remove it from your list of Thunar Custom Actions, in Thunar go to Edit > Configure custom actions, scroll down to it and remove it - much better yet, just click the Edit icon in the Custom Actions dialog and under the Appearance Conditions tab, untick everything, which hides it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:33 pm 
New UberStudent User

That's great thanks!

I look forward to learning more and hopefully I will be able to help others on this forum one day

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!