Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:38 am 
Established UberStudent User

I would like to refresh my installation of Hericlitus 4.3, but using "other installation" from the live DVD does not overwrite my previous user settings. After the refresh installation I would like to be able to reconfigure Enigmail from scratch. I have backed up my bookmarks, addressbooks and exported the my settings and keys from Enigmail. I also have some user created mistakes in the menu bar across the top of the screen, that I cannot figure out, so a fresh, stock, installation will correct it.

I have successfully refreshed the installation of Hericlitus 4.3 by formatting sda1 and making it / (root) and reusing my /home partition on sda2. If there is a way to remove all the previous user settings from /home and having the OS re-establish stock install user setting on a subsequent reboot, I would like to try that. I have about 90GB of videos, pdf's and documents stored on /home which is a lot of back up DVD's if I were to save it all, so formatting sda2 is not currently an option. I learned a lot over the past couple of days trying to figure out why my fresh installation "looked like my previous installation appearance wise".

For the future, I would like to know how to refresh Hericlitus 4.3 on sda1, but bypass the previous user setting which are stored on sda2 /home, if that is possible. Not being an expert, I would like to be able to cut my losses at some point if I break my system, and do a quick refresh and not risk importing some errors from the previous install user configuration, but still have access to all my personal data folders on /home.

Also very important is to be able to automatically install Google Earth from the user menu option rather that from Synaptic Package Manager "google-earth-meta" and "google-earth-stable:i386". Stephen has made installing the extras required for Google Earth to work properly an easy automated process. Excellent Stephen! When I try to install Google Earth from Synaptic, everything seems to work fine, but the font used by Google Earth looks terrible. :(

Thanks

Paul

paul-justice:~$ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for paul:
Model: ATA WDC WD1003FZEX-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 100GB 100GB primary ext4 boot
2 100GB 1000GB 900GB primary ext4
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

paul-justice:~$ groups
paul adm dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paul-justice:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
linux-image-4.2.0-19-generic install
linux-image-extra-4.2.0-19-generic install

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

The easy way: Create a new user account.

Settings menu > Administration > Users and Groups. Then click Manage groups and add the new user to sudo.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:27 am 

That worked very well. Thank you.

Now that I have a second user (User ID 1001) with the same privileges as User ID 1000, is it OK to delete User ID 1000, reboot, then change User ID 1001 to User ID 1000 and change the Username to the original Username that was used for User ID 1000?

Has the automated install of Google Earth that was available in UberStudent 4.1 been removed from the application menu for UberStudent 4.3 "Heraclitus?
I installed google-earth-meta and google-earth-stable:i386 using Synaptic Package Manager it seems to work OK, but the font for the menu items and 'places' etc in the left column is not very attractive. I removed and replaced the microsoft fonts, but that didn't help. One big positive I noticed is that the pictures now load when clicking on points of interest! That feature has never before worked for me on a Linux install of Google Earth, so I could put up with the sketchy fonts if need be. Screen capture of fonts included.

Attachment:
Google-Earth-Fonts.png
Google-Earth-Fonts.png [ 47.99 KiB | Viewed 6311 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:29 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Yes, so long as you are sure that you have added your new user to every group the old user is a member of, you can delete the old user.

There is no fix for the Google Earth ugliness. I've tried.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:20 am 

Thank you Stephen. Well on the positive side, the points of interest pictures are loading. They have never worked previously with Google Earth on Linux. Little by little I am learning more about how to work under the hood with Linux. It's not that easy when you also have other responsibilities. The more I learn, the more respect I have for the operating system and the people, such as yourself, who do the work to help make it a pleasure to use. Thank you!