Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi, I'm having a problem installing uberstudent and I really don't know why.

I have the latest version, I verified it, and made a usb according to the wiki instructions. It loads just fine from the usb and seems to work (I haven't played around much), but when I try to install it, the installer doesn't function. The first time I tried to install it, I told it to erase windows, and it did -- I can't load windows any more -- but it did not install uberstudent. I got as far as the step naming my computer, but before I could type in my choice I got a message that the installer had stopped working and that an error message would generate, but I never got the error message.

Now when I try to start the installer, it crashes basically right away and doesn't even pop up saying that it stopped working, the installer window just vaporizes. I have turned it off and on again and restarted and that doesn't help. I tried to run the boot repair according to the wiki but it says please install uberstudent and try again. The installer usually crashes right away, before I can even hit continue once, but sometimes I get farther. When I get to the screen where it asks me how I want to install, it gives an option for "install alongside uberstudent" so the installer seems to think I already have it installed, but it is definitely not installed, the installer did not finish and if I try to turn the computer on without the usb in it says there is no bootable media. I googled for this problem but didn't find anything, and I looked up how/where to install a new copy of the installer (because that seems to be where the problem is) but found nothing. I'm sorry that this is such a vague and basic post but I really have no idea what's wrong or how to proceed and my google-fu has failed me. I already had a bad day and I've been so excited to install this, so I'm pretty bummed that now I basically can't use my computer haha! :(

I would really appreciate some help! Thank you :)

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
 Post subject: Re: Installer Crashes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Jessica wrote:
I got as far as the step naming my computer, but before I could type in my choice I got a message that the installer had stopped working and that an error message would generate, but I never got the error message. Now when I try to start the installer, it crashes basically right away and doesn't even pop up saying that it stopped working, the installer window just vaporizes.

To help with your Google-fu, note that UberStudent 4.3 is based on Xubuntu/Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, so good search terms would probably be something like "ubuntu installer crashes". (Note that in the meantime, if you do not launch the installer, you can use the live-boot UberStudent environment for other computer-related tasks, such as browsing UbuntuForums.org, etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:13 pm 
New UberStudent User

Thanks, that is just the tip I needed! At a glance the most common issues seem to be with grub and uefi and they don't match the description of my problem, so I'll take a look at this again after I finish my schoolwork and report back if I find anything.

It might also be worth mentioning that I followed the instructions in the readme for what to do if no installer appears on the desktop, and that line did absolutely nothing, which is compounding my first instinct to get a new copy of the installer app only because it is so clearly not working, but that doesn't seem to be a thing I can do? Even though I know my "instinct" won't get me far, I would really like to be able to rule that out before trying the more involved solutions, but I'll slog through it tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

What machine are you trying to install on?

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:52 pm 
New UberStudent User

It's an HP Pavilion DV4 (from the stone age, probably). I did get farther since I last posted but no success. I got some partition error which I fixed*, and after I did that, the option to install alongside did not show up -- so the installer correctly recognized that uberstudent was not there. But then I got errno 5. I checked the disc 3 different ways (one of which took a VERY long time) and it is fine. I ran out of time to deal with this after that and have been using a different computer. If you have any tips I'd love to try them, but otherwise I'll continue trying the online solutions for errno 5 until I run out of them or get it to work. Thanks again!

*don't recall how so if you're here from the future with the same issue, I'm sorry :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

See https://askubuntu.com/questions/65830/e ... to-install

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!