Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:34 am 
Hey all,

I recently came across the UberStudent Distro, watched some videos about it and was impressed! However once I downloaded the ISO and installed on a USB stick using LiLi USB creator, I was not able to boot it on my HP 650 with Windows 8 pre-installed.

After doing some internet research, I learned that these laptops with a pre-install of W8 have a secure boot, meaning that no other software can be run during start-up. This is to prevent malicious software from running in the boot, or Linux distro's in this case. Now the most recent version of Ubuntu, 12.10, is able to deal with these kind of secure boot aspects and should be able to work alongside W8.

But now my question, since UberStudent has been build on 10.14 of Ubuntu, is it still possible to install it alongside W8? Is there someone with experience in this? I rather install UberStudent than Ubuntu 12.10 honestly. But it must be possible of course.

An answer would be greatly appreciated :).

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:48 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Updated with correct link.

Thanks for informing me of this. The new "feature" you describe is just plain ugly. :|

The answer is to simply disable it as the superfluity it is.

A version of UberStudent based on 12.10 is nearing completion, BTW.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 pm 
Nice to hear that! So that means UberStudent can be used on systems with a secure boot, right? Or can this already be done with the other versions?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 am 

The current versions can be used if you disable the UEFI secure boot in your computer's boot configuration. As I stated above, the feature is largely superfluous anyway.

It should be very straightforward to do. In general, you reach these settings by simply pressing the F11 or sometimes the Esc key while it boots. Some few machines may use yet a different key function. If the suggested keys don't work, it's probable you can find the correct key in either your computer's manual or by simply Googling with the model of your computer alongside the phrase "configure boot settings." If you decide to do this and have trouble, let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm 
I recently replaced an aging laptop with a Lenovo G585 (UEFI) and essentially had to do what Stephen suggests. As it turns out, this laptop has a special key which you press to both power up and boot into the BIOS. Only then could I make the changes necessary to boot from a CD. There is a separate key for normal starttup.

Having no interest in Microsoft Windows 8, I repartitioned the hard drive so I could install various Linux versions e.g. Linux Mint 14, UberStudent etc. I very much like UberStudent, my current favorite, but do wonder why (in the interest of educational accuracy), it wasn't called ÜberStudent or, if the umlaut is too foreign, the acceptable replacement UeberStudent. ;)

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37 pm 

rsevenic wrote:
I...do wonder why (in the interest of educational accuracy), it wasn't called ÜberStudent or, if the umlaut is too foreign, the acceptable replacement UeberStudent. ;)

Fair question.

Version 0.9 was called ÜberStudent. You can see a screenshot of it here.

Long story short, it produced pages and pages of heated debate among some German-speakers; so, I opted for the colloquial English iteration of the word in later releases. I've yet to see another such page. ;)

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!