Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:30 am 
Back to my original question...

I am wondering what y'all think about installing UberStudent on the entire drive, and setting aside a front partition for a later windows installation. Once UberStudent is installed, I can then install Win7 on the remaining partition, then use the live disk to repair the boot menu.

Is this crazy/ignorant?
Is there any reason to think that it might work?

Unfortunately, I don't know very much about Linux, which is one reason I am so hot to use a partition to install UberStudent: Great software and a way to learn more about Li-Unix.

Anyway, any help will be much appreciated.

PS: Stephen Ewen, I did read the links you posted. The Ubuntu UEFI link I had already worked through - no luck. It is possible that I misinterpreted some of the language. They clearly made an effort to make it understandable to noobs, but the level to which that is achieved is relative to the education of the reader.
The "Secure Boot" link was interesting, though. I appreciate the background.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 pm 
Established UberStudent User

There are a couple of online retailers that specialize in custom computers and they install Linux just pick the flavor you like. There is System76 and ZaReason. I have a friend who bought one from ZaReason and is quite happy with it. He got Ubuntu 12.04 installed.

If we throw our buying power behind vendors like these then they will survive and we will have a choice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:19 pm 
Well, I tried everything, and nothing has worked. Dual booting with Linux under this new paradigm of secureboot is a no go, at least for non-programmer types.

It seems to me that if UberStudent and other Linux installs are gonna have a future they need to do two things. First, there needs to be a program written that gives linux a hook (or whatever the proper term is) where it is able to see the other partitions under secureboot and install grub2 in the place of the windows boot loader. UberStudent reported that it could not do this when I tried it with Win7 already on the drive, and bootrepair could not either.
Secondly, when I installed UberStudent alone in anticipation of then installing windows, the time I had it on my computer it was slow and ran the fan at a rapid clip the whole time. I really don't feel that the underlying Linux incarnation did a very good job of managing the i7 chip, and other components. Perhaps there was some other problem, and perhaps if I knew more it would be a simple fix, but having the OS do this itself is critical to broad appeal, I would think.

As it is, I will have to stick with the Win7 downgrade, because I need my computer and have already committed more time than I should have to trying to make things work and play together nice.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:42 pm 
As an FYI, here is my system. It is kinda a complicated package, what with the little 8gig SSD, and discrete and on board graphics both, etc. Under Windows Samsung manages it with an app that uses it for boot and initiation processes, along with frequently loaded programs, and the discrete card is launched only for stuff the user selects, or are on an auto list. Whether to use the discrete graphics is part of the right click menu options when one clicks on a program to launch. Also, it has two USB 3 slots, one of which is a powered charging slot that is active even when the lappy is asleep.

Is linux able to do all this well? Seems like doing that requires a lot of tinkering, and maybe some programming, no?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/lapt ... 02UB-specs

Operating System
Operating System Windows 8 (64-bit)
CPU/ Processor
CPU/ Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3635QM Processor
CPU Clock Speed (Max.) 2.40 GHz
CPU Cache 6MB
Model
Series Series 7
Model Number NP700Z5C-S02UB
Display
Screen Size
15.6"
Type LED HD+
Resolution 1600 x 900
Brightness 300 nits SuperBright™ Technology
Memory
Standard System Memory 8GB
Memory Type DDR3 (1600 MHz)
Max. System Memory 8GB (On Board 4G + 4GB)
Storage
Hard Drive Capacity
1TB with ExpressCache™ Technology, 8GB
RPM 5400RPM
SATA SATA2
Graphics
Graphics Chip
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M Graphics
External or Integrated External (Optimus™ technology)
Maximum Graphics Memory
1GB
ODD
ODD DVD +/-RW Super Multi Dual Layer (S-ATA) Slot Loading
Multimedia
Speakers
4W Stereo Speaker (2W x 2) with Subwoofer
Sound Technology SoundAlive™
Internal Mic Yes
Web Camera
1.3MP HD
Connectivity
Wireless LAN
802.11 a/b/g/n
Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0
WiDi Yes
Wired Ethernet LAN
Gigabit LAN
I/O Ports
VGA Mini VGA (Mini VGA to VGA dongle sold separately)
HDMI
Yes
USB Ports
1 x USB 2.0 + 2 x USB 3.0
Headphone Out Yes
Microphone In Yes
Multi Card Slot 3- in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
RJ45 (LAN)
Yes
Input Devices
Keyboard
101 Keys
Numeric Yes
Backlit Yes
Touch Pad
Touch Pad (Scroll Scope, Flat Type, Gesture UI)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 pm 
Bill Semm wrote:
There are a couple of online retailers that specialize in custom computers and they install Linux just pick the flavor you like. There is System76 and ZaReason. I have a friend who bought one from ZaReason and is quite happy with it. He got Ubuntu 12.04 installed.

If we throw our buying power behind vendors like these then they will survive and we will have a choice.

It is cool to see those companies, and I would definitely consider them in the future, but that ship has sailed for me at this point. I am stuck with this lappy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 pm 
Is this what you are looking for by any chance?

http://www.zdnet.com/more-fun-with-wind ... 000009292/

Section 1
"After wiping Windows 8 and installing nothing but Linux during the previous blog post, I decided to go back and see what it would be like to try to get Windows 8 and Linux to co-exist. To that end, I contacted HP support and ordered the Windows 8 recovery media for this system. "
"The good news, anyway, is that after a half day or so the dm1 was once again running Windows 8 exactly as it had been when it came out of the box."

If not, could you try re-explaining it for me? Your hardware looks very nice! And should be able to support pretty much anything you throw at it. :-)

If I'm not understanding something correctly, please let me know :-P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:39 pm 
very cool.
Thank you. That puts a couple of more tools in my belt, and some better understanding.
I am tempted to go do a boot repair in uberstudent, which is still on a seperate partition, and see if I can get that dual boot going. Unfortunately, there is no legacy option in my bioss, though secure boot is off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm 
wow... this is such a huge mess...
Worst case, you can try a virtual machine and make it full screen :-P you may not have the full 8gb or RAM, but you should still have quite a bit of space. Or make a flash drive with uberstudent installed and you can keep adding things as you see fit :P It is a pain... but until they come out with a 'hack', it is going to be difficult to get past that :/ You could also put it on a SD card, it's portable, and you can keep it in the machine if you want

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 am 
I got it to install ubuntu 12.10 after a boot repair and having uber student on the drive before re installing 7. Now I am removing 12.10 and installing 13 cause it is very nice, IMHO. I will use the OS- uninstaller.
After that I will install uberstudent, and hopefully have all three.
Btw, one change I made was to put the hard drive before the 7 boot loader in my boot menu. I think that was important.
Anyway, I'll let you all know how it comes out, and try to remember and list my trial and error.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:49 am 
Mark Marks wrote:
wow... this is such a huge mess...
Worst case, you can try a virtual machine and make it full screen :-P you may not have the full 8gb or RAM, but you should still have quite a bit of space. Or make a flash drive with uberstudent installed and you can keep adding things as you see fit :P It is a pain... but until they come out with a 'hack', it is going to be difficult to get past that :/ You could also put it on a SD card, it's portable, and you can keep it in the machine if you want

yes, good suggestions, all.
That was my plan -usb drive - if this last try didn't work.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!