Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 am 
New UberStudent User

I just downloaded Uberstudent, when I went to extract the ISO using MagicISO it says: failed to read the ISO file. When I use 7Zip it gives me errors as well but the program does not let me copy anything so I have attached an image instead which shows the beginning parts of the error.There is more to the error from 7Zip but the program freezes at 99% because of the corrupt files so I cannot scroll down to see the rest of it

My computer is Windows 7 Professional x64

I tried three different programs, Magic ISO, 7Zip, and Windows Disk Image Burner and neither work.

Attachments:
File comment: This picture shows the error I get in 7Zip when trying to extract the ISO.
Uberstudent Fail Page.jpg
Uberstudent Fail Page.jpg [ 180.84 KiB | Viewed 14166 times ]

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

First off, why are you extracting the ISO? You need to burn it as an image with a disc burning program so you can boot in to it from the disc you burn.

But given the extraction error, it sounds like the download may have somehow gotten corrupted. Did you md5 sum check it? There is a nifty freeware right-click utility for Windows Explorer shell you can install to do that.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:06 pm 
New UberStudent User

I downloaded a program called md5sum.1.2 (Windows) and dragged and dropped the ISO on top of it and this is what I got:

uberstudent-2.0.4-desktop-amd64.iso 100% 190b1b470462899952090bdcd57de7c1

I used WinMD5Free v1.20 and got; Current File MD5 checksum value:
190b1b470462899952090bdcd57de7c1

I have no idea what this means. I tried burning the ISO to cd and I keep getting the error:

"The selected disk image file isn't valid."

Also when I go to download the file to open in Magic ISO it says 3.5GB but once the file is downloaded it reads as 1.81GB. I have tried downloading it three separate times, I will use Internet Explorer this time to see if that helps but so far nothing!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 pm 
New UberStudent User

I finally got the ISO to work. I used DownThemAll to download the file and pasted 94ed10903fa6e035498b366d7b195511 into the Checksum Hash section of DownThemAll instead of the 190b1b470462899952090bdcd57de7c1 that I was getting before. The file downloaded completely, MagicISO extracted it to my disk and Burned it to a CD for me. I wish I would have known I had to go through all of this just to install an operating system but the read me file didn't say anything about this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 am 

Glad you got it going. :)

The README file does include a link explaining how to install it, which states you have to burn the ISO to a disc. But I do plan to get a detailed how-to up as soon as I can.

It's never necessary to extract an ISO image before burning it. Every burner I've used, across platforms, has a straightforward option to burn an ISO as an image (not as data). All that was confusing to me when I first did it, so don't feel alone. ;)

At any rate, in UberStudent, all you will have to do in the future is right-click over an ISO file and choose the option "Burn ISO Image".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:04 am 
New UberStudent User

Thanks so much Stephen for the help, I am really new to Linux. I am currently taking up LUX 205 in school and one of my classmates mentioned your software and I was in love with him for doing it once I looked at Youtube and saw what it can do. I actually asked my instructor why it would not download before and she said that many built-in download manager cannot handle large files and they either corrupt the file or do not download it entirely. That's what prompt me to use DownThemAll which I use for very large files and I am glad I did because it has options for ISOs and hash files as well. I am looking forward to getting started with your program. It's like opening a new toy, LOL.

:D Again thanks :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 am 

Wow, cool course you mentioned. :)

Your instructor is of course correct about large files. Hopefully, disks people can buy for about $6.00 will be an option this week. In UberStudent you will find uGet in the menu at Internet > Utilities. It handles large files well. DownThemAll does install in Firefox regardless of platform, too.

Let me know if I can assist you as you move forward. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 am 
New UberStudent User

hi all,

may i know , after burn to cd,
is this auto run on CD rom?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 am 

@seongkok

It depends on how your computer's BIOS are set up. It's an extreme rarity that a computer is not set by default to first check if there is a bootable medium in the disc drive. If such a disc is present in the drive, it will boot from it.

If your computer is not so configured, the procedure is normally to just hit the F11, Esc, or some other function key located atop your keyboard while your machine boots. Doing that will bring up a selection dialog, from which you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to choose to boot your computer from the disc drive. Doing that will boot the UberStudent Live System. From it, you can test and install the system.

It is essential that your burned the UberStudent ISO file as an image and not as data for it to boot.

The Beginner's Guide should have all the info you need to get going. Unless you already have experience getting going with Linux systems, I recommend you read it from start to finish before installing UberStudent. It's advisable to print all of the info and have it aside you when installing UberStudent. Installation is not actually difficult, but there are enough everyday unfamiliarities with the details of the process to make it inadvisable to simply go by memory after reading the Guide.

Just post here again if you need additional assistance.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!