Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:45 pm 
New UberStudent User

hello,

i have an old laptop and it has crashed several times with windows and i wanted to try linux. However, it has become really difficult to download uberstudent, i have already downloaded it seven times and each time it goes to 99% and the says error failed.

help?

i am downloading through my desktop and my laptop has ubuntu currently and i wanted to switch. However i used a usb to install it through pendrive linux and so can i use pendrivelinux to put uberstudent on my flash disk? if yes, how so? and if no, what other options are there?

please help me as soon as possible :)

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:36 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hello Lizzy. I installed UberStudent 4.0 to a 8GB USB. It shows up as 7.4 GB size and used 1.86GB using KDE Partition Manager. I am not sure which size USB I started with but it did not work so I used the 8GB which worked. I did use Unetbootin on a windows 7 machine to make the UberStudent USB and it works fine as a live USB. I have not installed to hard disk using this UberStudent USB but I don't have any reason to believe it will not work. Take care! James

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:15 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Lizzy, I put the wrong USB in earlier. UberStudent 4.0 was also installed on a 8 GB USB. It showed as 7.5 GiB for Size and 2.86 GiB for Used and 4.64 GiB as Unused using GParted. I still used UNetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) on a Win 7 machine to make the UberStudent USB. I did download the UberStudent ISO to the hard drive of my Win 7 machine. In Win 7 download UNetbootin. Click on the UNetbootin file you downloaded and a window opens which is UNetbootin. I always go towards the bottom of the window to "Diskimage" and tick that "circle" since I have already downloaded the UberStudent ISO. I personally DO NOT use the top "cirlce " which is "Distribution". If you download UNetbootin from the link above note that you can scroll down to see the directions on how to use UNetbootin. BE SURE THAT UNDER "Type" it is USB and "Drive" IS THE CORRECT USB DRIVE YOU WANT TO INSTALL Uberstudent ONTO!!! When UNetbootin is finished either reboot to try UberStudent as a live USB on that computer or close and put the USB with UberStudent into the computer where you want to install UberStudent. Be sure that the computer is set to boot from USB. I ALWAYS HAVE NO FILES ON THE USB THAT I WANT TO INSTALL UBERSTUDENT ON. UNetbootin will overwrite any files so use an empty USB. Good luck! James

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:54 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Please consult the Beginner's Guide, particularly the section "Download the ISO file," for info on using a download manager to download the ISO. Doing so should avoid errors that may be caused by an inconsistent Internet connection. ;)

You might also try using the torrent file with a Bittorrent client to download UberStudent. It's an excellent option for people who may have an inconsistent Internet connection. If you are thus far unfamiliar with Bittorrent, you'll have to climb a small learning curve to use it. The time spent doing so is well worth it. :geek: In Ubuntu, use the pre-installed program Transmission.

If you continue to have trouble downloading the ISO from your particular location, you may need to get a disc delivered by mail for U.S. $6.

As James stated, Unetbootin, a program to place an ISO file on to a bootable USB drive, has supported UberStudent ever since version 2.0. You can use Unetbootin to make a USB drive able to run and install UberStudent. Because it is faster than using an optical disc, I use it myself and it works perfectly well. :geek:

Please let us know if you continue to face difficulties getting going with UberStudent. :)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!