Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:27 pm 
New UberStudent User

I am just an end user so like you I rely on the distrus to update all problems. But the fix in here for the Dbus problem, may be corrected once you run enough of the Updates. I am not sure, since the problem went away with the delay fix. So I may never know, unless yuck I mess it up so much I have to start over. Thats not happened so far, and Acronis I run once a month to keep myself in the safety zone. Acronis is so far the only total backup solution. Redo might also handle it but Acronis is much more stable and reliable.
Someday however I suspect someone will create total backup software that does run inside Xwindows/Linux and backup your whole computer.

For now the only aolution is to use it from bootable media, and use the auto restart solution will work fine.

I know the deja dup is there to backup your everyday changes, but Acronis is the only one that backup windows and linux on the same machine.

I am trying to figure out my oddball sound card. It is an HP desktop and has an ATI sound system. It has a built in mono speaker that has a slider and also rear panel sensed speaker jack. ALSA Mixer wants to control the rear panel speakers and the internal speaker at the same time. Problem is it is adjusting the rear panel in the first half of the slider for that jack and then adjusts the speaker volume in the second half of the range. And if you slide all controls to maximum it mutes everything. I am wondering if dconf editor has control over ALSA mixer. I may stumble on the solution someday. Windows does not have this issue. It is not specific and some distros do not have same problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:46 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Please run
Code:
lspci -v | grep -i audio
in a terminal and post the output here.

What happens when you run alsamixer in a terminal and try to adjust things that way?

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:44 am 
New UberStudent User

Terminal output of your request is:

ken@BEAST:~$ lspci -v | grep -i audio
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
ken@BEAST:~$

In alsamixer I just discovered a couple of things.

It shows the card as HDA ATI SB
It shows the chip as Realtek ALC260
The mixers are Master Headphone Speaker PCM Line Mic Beep Aux and Auto-Mute.
The beep and aux have MM in the sliders which do not adjust, so I assume those are non used.
The Auto-Mute, has 3 positions. Line Out Speaker and DIsabled.
If I choose Speaker it disables the internal desktop speaker. (Again not the PC beeper speaker but an actual speaker that is hooked to the sound card internally).
Now I slid down from 100 the Headphone Slider.
In doing so it no longer does the popping noises when the Master level is maxed out.
With the Speaker in the muting selection then the internal speaker is off. If I turn it ON then you get a hiss out the internal speaker just background noise.
However its level has an effect on the Xwindows indicator and as such you cannot alter it but leave it at 100 % or it forces the Master gain downward.
If I enable the speaker (Auto-Mut Disabled) and turn Master to 100 percent WITH Headphone at 100 percent, then you also get a squeal or feedback.

Granted I do not want any level at 100 percent.

So however if I leave the Headphone slider down then all is ok, and never get popping or squeal period.

Yes there is an HDMI video card installed but HDMI audio works fine, even though I dont use it most of the time.

Now in the GUI of or from the settings panel, is not the same as the terminal launched mixer. It has all the same options, but behaves 1 thing different.
If you turn volumes up to 100 percent it actually mutes everything, and then you have to unmute the desired sliders.

Again it remains more of an annoyance. Now that I have the speaker being off via the AutoMute of Speaker setting things are normal.

Just that they didn't really get things too linear. I have a Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard that has volume and mute buttons. however it is adjusting the levels so that all the usable level is at the lower 1/2 of the onscreen indicator and seems to adjust too quickly or not smoothly as I would like.

In Summary of Uberstudent....

Other than my HP Printer setup issue, for my particular P1102W printer, there is almost Nothing about Uberstudent that needs much change.
I resolved the failure by changing the root password, and it now downloads and installs the additional needed hp-lip prpprietary driver, which gets it to work.
It wont let you install the proprietary patch without the root password. Once past that everything works fine.

OOB you do need to do all the updates, about 430MB to download and let it install.
It would be nicer to have XscreenSaver have ALL of the screensavers in there on the initial install, but A quick trip into Synaptic resolved all that.

I also recently put in Oracle VirtualBox and Windows XP with some configuration I am able to get my USB scanner to work. So now at least I have a means to scan stuff, and shove it all over to the home folder to edit print and so forth.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:43 pm 
Established UberStudent User

I believe I had the same issue and the fix was to ensure the md5sum of your download matched the sum given on the site.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!