Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:26 pm 
New UberStudent User

I am trying to respond to the message that there is an Update to "Update Manager" available. On running the update it fails.

Running synaptic reports that the update is Broken. Using the Broken filter action, marking the update for re installation and allowing it to proceed returns:

E: Internal Error, No file name for uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-enduser:amd64

I can not guess what this means, has the system run out of names? do I have to supply a name? does the command expect me to supply a name? or is it like most Linux problem the result of a distant apparently unrelated error?

I have searched the forum without any sign of an explanation, any suggestions?

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:57 am 
New UberStudent User

Further to my query I now find I can not install any software when I do I receive a message that there is a problem with the software already installed. Then when I try to have it repaired it fails:

Quote:
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-helper_1.7.7_all.deb (--unpack):
pre-dependency problem - not installing uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-helper
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-helper_1.7.7_all.deb
Error in function:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-enduser:
uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-enduser depends on uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-helper (>= 1.6.2); however:
Package uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-helper is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-enduser (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

I assume there is a clue there somewhere but I have no idea what to do if I found it. I am just drowning without a life raft hoping that a super-tanker might pass my way.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:29 am 
New UberStudent User

More Woes.

I have just tried Update Manager again, this time I get the error message

W: GPG error: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com trusty Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

Again I have no idea where to go. Update manager can't update itself and consequently can't update anything else.

It is as if I am trying to learn German when the only text books are in Russian!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:17 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Please take the steps in this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1169#p3633

Afterward, hit F12 on your keyboard an run the following line:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Let me know if this resolves everything.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:30 am 
New UberStudent User

Thanks for that, everything appeared to work until the last line from the command:

sudo apt-get update

which reports the same GPC error as before:

Quote:
W: GPG error: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com trusty Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:58 am 
New UberStudent User

Just in case it is of use, I have copied the contents of the Terminal and uploaded it with this message.

Attachments:
UpdateWarning.rtf [14.29 KiB]
Downloaded 175 times

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:49 am 

I'm not getting that error so am not sure what is going on. Try going to Applications menu > System > Administration > Fixes > Software System Fixer and running the script, and then running sudo apt-get update in a terminal and see if it goes away.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:42 pm 
New UberStudent User

That should have been Applications menu > System >Software > Software System Fixer

Everything went through okay, as the script ran I did spot a indication of the problem, a message which implied that the process corrected a GRC error involving Google, the display was removed before I could save it. Update Manager now reports my system to be up-to-date.

Thanks for your help, I had googled the problem and discovered that it dates back to 2008 and that there were a number of posts offering solutions; I held off implementing these on the grounds that the same error may have different root causes.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm 

The problem does not stem back to 2008. It's a problem that occurs occasionally with the underlying apt system that all Debian-based systems use. apt was first release in 1998.

Since the item is located where you said, the issue may be that you don't have all updates applied. You do not have all updates applied.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:09 am 
New UberStudent User

Thanks for the clarification; I suspected that an apparent old problem probably had different manifestations. Hence my reluctance in attempting a posted solution.

As for having all updates applied I can now run Update Manager, if I click on the "Refresh" button I receive a message "Your system is up to date"

As a confidence check I have run the "Ubuntu Software Centre" to select and install successfully the "Stellarium" app.

I am assuming that Update Manager traps all pending updates. This may not be so for all apps, perhaps "Stellarium" would not be covered, but I assume it has no dependencies and so would not 'break' the system.

Have I missed the point of your comment? Could it be that you are suggesting that Google, for example, is not properly covered and may have an update which has not been applied.

I am used to using Windows and Android both of which either automatically apply updates or notify available updates. A few older Windows programs still need active user interaction to check for and apply updates.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!