Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 am 
New UberStudent User

I have been looking forward to trying out the 32-bit MATE version on an old laptop (as opposed to the 64-bit MATE version in VirtualBox). But I have experienced a strange problem. When using the live DVD, the system would often fail to respond to a left-button click on my mouse. Now I've installed it to the laptop's hard drive, I have the same problem.

The laptop is an HP dv5215us with an AMD Turion chip, and the mouse is a Logitech wireless M310. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

I recommend a different mouse. ;) I find all sorts of issues posted all around the Web with that mouse in Linux.

You can also try installing lomoco and see if you can configure your mouse. You can do that with Synaptic or run sudo apt-get install lomoco in a terminal. Then open a terminal and type locomo --help and see if there is an option to get it going. I don't have that mouse so cannot test it myself.

You can also try going to Applications > System > System Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and searching for linux-backports-modules-net-3.2.0.35-generic and installing it. This will install the kernel for that too. Now reboot and boot in to that 3.2 kernel from the grub menu. That kernel may support that mouse. If it does, while in the 3.2 kernel (!), you can uninstall the 3.5 kernel, since it does not best serve your particular hardware.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 pm 
New UberStudent User

Thanks, Stephen. I had already uninstalled the 3.5 kernel and gone back to the 3.2, and that does significantly lengthen the period before the left-click stops working.

This mouse has worked flawlessly with Linux Mint 11 and 13 with MATE for nearly 18 months (and it still does), so obviously there is a way to get it sorted out. I see LM 13 uses the 3.2.0.23-generic kernel, so I think I'll start by trying that out instead of the 3.2.0.35-generic. If that doesn't do it, I'll try lomoco (I'd already tried Synaptic without making any difference).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:52 pm 
New UberStudent User

A pleasant update!

Neither going back to the 3.2.0.23 kernel nor installing lomoco did anything. In fact, lomoco seems very limited. But I did read a post that said that the issue had indeed been traced to the kernel, and that it had been fixed in 3.6. So I upgraded the kernel to 3.6.1, using the instructions here: http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/install ... buntu.html. It was perfectly straightforward and, so far, so good!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!