Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:31 pm 
New UberStudent User

First, let me say I am thrilled to have discovered UberStudent. My goal is to install this for my kids to get them through High Schoo/Secondary School.

However, one of my requirements is that I have root access to their laptops until they turn 18. I would like to use this option to also install a few addition packages and remove a few packages.

So, I am curious as to why this common login practice has be deprecated on UberStudent 4.3.

Cheers!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

Post subject: Re: Parental Access
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:04 am 
UberStudent Staff

Jake Stewart wrote:
one of my requirements is that I have root access to their laptops until they turn 18

UberStudent is primarily targeted toward college students, and is very much about the idea that education requires empowerment, so "parental control" is outside of UberStudent's design philosophy. That being said, the first user created during installation is the super user, so when you install UberStudent onto your kids' laptops do so as if the laptops were yours; then via Settings > Administration > Users and Groups > Add you can add secondary users for your kids. For your kids to be able to apply software updates you would then have to add them to the sudo group via Settings > Administration > Users and Groups > Manage Groups > sudo > Properties.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:38 pm 
New UberStudent User

Thank you for the helpful response!

I am beginning to think the the most empowering thing I can do is provide my sons with a fairly standard Linux distribution so they will be very comfortable with it if and when they work in the tech industry. That knowledge has been invaluable for me.

Thanks!

Jake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:40 am 
UberStudent Staff

Jake Stewart wrote:
I am beginning to think the the most empowering thing I can do is provide my sons with a fairly standard Linux distribution so they will be very comfortable with it if and when they work in the tech industry.

In every place that I have worked in the past decade+ there has been a heterogeneous mix of Linux/Unix distributions; based on that I say that there is no such thing as a "standard Linux distribution". As such, for a user's first Linux distribution I recommend one that is explicitly user-friendly and suited to their situation: for young children I recommend Sugar Linux, for students of essay writing age and educators I recommend UberStudent, for educators who need a lab of thin-clients I recommend an Edubuntu server, and for adults outside of academia and without children I usually recommend something like Ubuntu.

If your sons find that they love computer geekery and the power that Linux provides I would encourage that at some point in the future they customize whatever Linux installation they are using at that time to the point of being unrecognizable, and after they have mastered that then they should install an unfamiliar Linux/Unix distro [from a different tree] and start the journey afresh, etc. (If your first Linux distro comes from the Debian tree, your second Linux/Unix distro should come from a different tree such as the RedHat tree, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 pm 
New UberStudent User

Thank you for your thoughts Damion. It is good advice. Many of my fellow geeks use Debian based distros but in my twenty some years of consulting I have yet to see it in Fortune 100 or even 500 for that matter. They seem to be held hostage by the Red Hat branch (or possibly SUSE here in on this side of the pond) of the family tree.

Cheers

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!