Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:36 am 
Established UberStudent User

I am soon commencing three pre-tertiary (higher secondary) short courses (8 weeks). My potential students will include high functioning autistic students along with many adolescents and some adults. We will hold two hour sessions, and each course is divided into three parts the last of which is intensive in-class writing and research. In the first course I will have students of widely differing abilities, and I want to set up a distraction free computer environment where I can review them as they write.

I am planning a thin-client, 'terminal', multi-seat setup with one central computer controlling all --- and running UberStudent, as the courses are completed restrictions will be eased and in the end they will be running the system itself.

My problem is whether this has been already considered by UberStudent or is something that is planned, or I need now to find the software that will do the job.

Any advise given would be warmly received.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:53 am 
UberStudent Staff

Gregory E Schofield wrote:
I am planning a thin-client, 'terminal', multi-seat setup with one central computer controlling all

UberStudent does not currently have the LTSP software installed, though you could certainly attempt to install and configure it. For an educational distro which does have the LTSP thin-client architecture included you might want to look at Edubuntu.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:07 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Damion Lunin wrote:
I am planning a thin-client, 'terminal', multi-seat setup with one central computer controlling all

UberStudent does not currently have the LTSP software installed, though you could certainly attempt to install and configure it. For an educational distro which does have the LTSP thin-client architecture included you might want to look at Edubuntu.

Damion, thank you for this advice, I believe you have saved me a lot of time. I will set up under Edubuntu, for those limited sessions, but I am very impressed with UberStudent and will use that also and direct my future students to it, I would very much like to get involved in this project somehow to some small degree, it is very impressive and I cannot believe my luck for stumbling upon it at this particular time.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 am 
UberStudent Staff

Damion Lunin wrote:

UberStudent does not currently have the LTSP software installed, though you could certainly attempt to install and configure it.

I would very much like to get involved in this project somehow to some small degree

You are not the first person to want to use UberStudent for a thin-client network; if you do install and configure a thin-client network using UberStudent you could then transmit your knowledge gained into a wiki article.