Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:38 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi,

How do I download Uberstudent? I'm not good with computers. I downloaded the file and put in a DVD into my computer and burned the DVD, then I took the DVD out, then put it back in the computer, and when I went to "install" there weren't any folders in there. I'm not good with technology or computers.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:06 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hi Shana,

Quote:
and put in a DVD into my computer and burned the DVD

Which program did you use to burn your DVD? Did you do this with a Windows computer or one with Linux?

Quote:
when I went to "install" there weren't any folders in there

What do you mean by folders? Have you managed to boot into UberStudent? It would help if you could explain at which moment you searched for folders.

The boot process normally is:
1) Put the DVD in your CD/DVD drive and turn your computer OFF
If your PC is set to boot from removable drives, skip step 2
2) Turn back on your computer enter the boot menu by pressing a key (for me it is F12, on another machine it's "Delete". It can vary)
3) Start the DVD and wait for a login screen to show up and login (username = uberstudent, password = no password, just hit Enter)
4) Click on Install on the desktop
5) You'll have to prepare the install process by setting some steps. Be careful what you choose when you are asked if you want to install UberStudent next to another operating system or use the whole harddrive. :!:

Hope that helps :)
David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:17 pm 
New UberStudent User

I used NTI Media Maker to burn the file to a DVD-R. I think I have a Windows computer. It's an Acer computer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:26 pm 
New UberStudent User

When I re-booted my computer (with the DVD in it) I expected that a prompt would come up telling me how to finish installing the UberStudent program onto my computer, but nothing popped up when the computer came back on. So, I went to "Computers" , clicked the "DVD RW Drive (D:) Uber-Student 2.0" , then looked through those files. I then clicked on the "install" file, then on "memtest" , then a window opened that asked me to "Choose the program you want to use to open this file", and under it is a list of programs such as: Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, Notepad, Paint, iTunes, AdobePhotoshop, Windows Live Movie Maker, Windows Photo Viewer, WordPad, Windows Media Player, and Windows Live Photo Gallery, and at the bottom I can press "Browse". I tried opening this "memtest" file with most of these applications, but none of them worked.

Quote:
when I went to "install" there weren't any folders in there

What do you mean by folders? Have you managed to boot into UberStudent? It would help if you could explain at which moment you searched for folders.

The boot process normally is:
1) Put the DVD in your CD/DVD drive and turn your computer OFF
If your PC is set to boot from removable drives, skip step 2
2) Turn back on your computer enter the boot menu by pressing a key (for me it is F12, on another machine it's "Delete". It can vary)
3) Start the DVD and wait for a login screen to show up and login (username = uberstudent, password = no password, just hit Enter)
4) Click on Install on the desktop
5) You'll have to prepare the install process by setting some steps. Be careful what you choose when you are asked if you want to install UberStudent next to another operating system or use the whole harddrive. :!:

Hope that helps :)
David[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Quote:
So, I went to "Computers" , clicked the "DVD RW Drive (D:) Uber-Student 2.0"

Ah ok, I see. What you did actually was booting into your Windows machine and then just opening the DVD as you do it usually with CDs or DVDs. But booting a CD or DVD is not the same as opening (the term is mounting) a CD or DVD. To boot your DVD you don't have to start (= boot) Windows as in fact you want to start UberStudent.

Now, let's solve your problem :)
You're computer is not set to boot from your DVD, so it will be "ignored" when you turn your computer on.
You have to do step 2 I explained before. It is a bit tricky to do for someone who doesn't know much about computers, so I'll try to make each step as simple as possible:

1) Put the DVD in your drive and turn off your PC (let the screen turned on)

2) Turn on your computer. The very first thing you will see is probably the computer brand's logo. On the bottom of the screen you will see some options like "enter boot menu" or "enter (BIOS) setup".

Here is an example of this screen.
See the option Boot menu by pressing F12 or the BIOS Setup by pressing Delete (DEL)

The screen disappears very quickly so eventually repeat the turn off and on a couple of times.

3.a) If you have the option "boot menu" press the respective key and just choose the DVD in the list which will be given afterward. The DVD will then start. If you have no boot menu option, continue in step 3.b).

3.b) Enter the BIOS setup by pressing the respective key (often F2 or Delete on your keyboard).
In the menu look under the section "boot" (by navigating with the right and left arrow on your keyboard.
Here is an example of the setup menu:
See the DVD in this example is set for the third boot device (after a removable device such as USB sticks and the SATA hard-drive of the computer). So here the computer will start the DVD if there is no USB stick and no hard-drive.

4) Change the boot priority: There is probably the option to configure the boot list. In the configuration menu, move the CD/DVD drive to the very top of all devices (by clicking F5 or F6, the keys will be indicated at the right of the screen).

5) Save the settings and exit the BIOS: The way to do this is often indicated on the bottom or the top that says "F10 to save and exit"

The computer will automatically reboot and start the DVD.

Do not hesitate to ask for more help :) , especially since my english is not very good.
Can you give the manufacture's name of your computer? I will look for pictures, just as I did in this post, for your computer's Setup menu, so my indications will be much more precise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:43 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Beginner's Guide to UberStudent

If anyone would like to help me finish it, message me and I'll make you an account at the wiki. :)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!