UberStudent Desktop Logo
The UberStudent logo on your desktop persists, even as you change the background image. That's because the logo is not part of any desktop background. Using a program called conky, it is laid over every background.
For those who don't wish the logo to persist, it is very easy to get rid of. There are two equally easy ways.
How to Remove the Logo
You have two options:
- Disable it. From the Applications menu, go to System → Look and Feel → Session and Startup ... and in the Application Autostart tab untick UberStudent-logo; then, logout and log back in or reboot. Done.
With this method, you can re-enable it any time in seconds.
- Or you can unistall it. From the Applications menu, go to System → System → Synaptic Package Manager ... and search for and uninstall uberstudent-conky-configs; then, logout and log back in or reboot. Done.
With this method, you'll need to re-install uberstudent-conky-configs to get the logo back.
Why was the Logo Made to Persist?
Because it was a good choice, given the other less than ideal options available. The other options are:
- Use a default background that had distorted proportions for two-thirds of all systems and their monitor sizes (square objects would stretch to become rectangles).
- Program a custom fix for Xfce that no one has done yet that I know of, which detects the screen size in use and chooses a different background based on the size. That's a LOT of work and would add to boot-up time.
- Use an SVG background but hack the SVG file to place the logo as an overlay that keeps proportion over the background portion of the image, sort of like how can be done with CSS. That is exactly what the Lightweight Edition does because resource usage takes precedence; yet, it still does not provide a fully consistent look across each-and-every monitor size.
- It is not at all an actually nagging problem for those who dislike it. As you can see above, it takes only seconds to disable and re-enable it